The holiday season is officially upon us. We have been very spoiled the past couple of weeks due to the nice weather, but it is finally starting to feel like the holiday season.
This past weekend I put up our Christmas tree. I have 3 pets, a dog named Roxie and 2 cats Otis & Mr. Piffles. We didn't have Piff last Christmas but I didn't think it would be different having a Christmas tree up since Otis just lays under it. Boy was I wrong! After I got it decorated beautifully with all the ornaments, tinsel and garland, Piff decided he would climb it, knock it over, play with the ornaments and chew on the tinsel and garland.
With that being said, here are some tips to keep your pet safe and happy during the holiday season
Holiday food to NOT give your pet
1. Chocolate - Chocolate has Theobromine, animals process this slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system. A small amount can cause upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting.
2. Grapes/raisins - Even a small amount of grapes/raisins can cause kidney failure, vomiting and diarrhea. Leave the fruit cake for your family!
3. Fatty foods (meat fat) - Giving your pet the fat off of meat can cause pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is inflammation of pancreas. Symptoms include loss of appetite, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, pets with pancreatitis need to be hospitalized with IV fluids and medications.
4. Anything with Xylitol - Found in sugar free gum, Xylitol in pets can cause low blood sugar, seizures liver failure and even death.
5. Bones - Bones are a chocking hazard. They can cause blockages in the stomach or intestines, and some can splinter and damage the stomach and intestines. In some cases the only way to remove a bone is to have it surgically removed.
Holiday household items to be aware of
1. Plants - Some plants like Mistletoe and Holly can cause severe gastrointestinal upset like vomiting and diarrhea, breathing problems and in some cases heart failure. Poinsettias can cause vomiting, drooling and diarrhea.
2. Tinsel/garland - When ingested tinsel/garland can easily wrap around the stomach and intestines. Surgery would be the only option to remove it. (Since Piff decided to eat it, all tinsel/garland has been removed from my house)
3. Ornaments - Some ornaments have sharp edges and when chewed and swallowed, it can cause perforations and lacerations.
4. Electrical Cords - Puppies and kittens seem to be infatuated with exposed electrical cords. If chewed on, pets can be shocked, or even burned from the from the exposed wires.
If your pet lives outside, make sure they have somewhere warm to stay when it is cold out. If it is too cold for you, it is too cold for them! Make sure they have plenty of food nd water and are also not anywhere near anti-freeze. Anti-freeze smells sweet and when ingested it can cause serious health problems.
From all of us at Tender Care Animal Hospital, we hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday season!!
I cant be made at this face! He is so cute even when he is naughty. :)